Authentication (also known as "two-factor authentication") is an extra layer of security that prevents unauthorized individuals from accessing or tampering with your ArenaNet account. An account protected with authentication will not only ask for your login email and password, but will require a unique security code whenever it is accessed from a new or unknown network. This code is delivered via one of two secure channels:
- Authenticator App: This type of authentication uses a downloadable app—such as Google Authenticator—on a device such as a cell phone or tablet to deliver your security code.
- SMS Authentication: This type of authentication sends your security code as a text to your cell phone whenever a login is detected from a new or unknown network.
Once you’ve verified a new network with a code, you'll have the ability to determine whether it is a "safe" network (such as your home) or a temporary network (such as a hotel or school campus). This not only gives you full control over where your account can be accessed, but serves as an early warning if someone tries to access your account without your knowledge or approval.
Benefits of using Authentication
There are three big benefits to using authentication:
- Free Unlock: Mini Mystical Dragon! As a thank-you for helping keep your account safe from account thieves and gold sellers, you'll unlock a free Mini Mystical Dragon when you enable authentication on your account! This in-game item is exclusively available for players who add authentication to their accounts.
- Security: A password just isn’t enough to protect your account in the digital age. Account thieves have access to massive databases of email and password combinations stolen from sites all over the internet, purchased from shady vendors, or stolen through malware. An SMS or Authenticator App adds an extra level of security to protect your account.
- Account Recovery: If you ever forget your password, you can use your authentication code to prove you’re the rightful owner of the account and reset your password—even if you’re trying to log in from a new network!
Adding an Authenticator
How do I setup authentication on my account?
If you’re creating a new account, you’ll have a chance to add authentication when you register.
If you already have an account, you can add authentication via the account management page. Click the Security link on the top of the page, then choose the type of authentication you’d like to use and follow the steps displayed.
What types of authentication are available?
There are two forms of authentication used to protect your ArenaNet account:
This type of authentication sends your security code as a text to a cell phone, but alternative services like landlines, Skype or Google Voice won’t work.
See our article on SMS Authentication for more information.
This type of authentication uses an app on a device such as a cell phone or tablet to deliver your security code. Google Authenticator is the most popular app that works with Guild Wars 2, but you can use any app which supports the TOTP/OATH standard (IETF RFC 6238).
See our article on the Authenticator App for more information.