While there are several steps you can take to protect your account from being hacked or stolen—or at least make it more difficult for someone trying to take advantage of all your hard work—we understand that these things still happen in today's digital world. This is why we’ve developed a number of special tools in the event that your account is ever compromised: including an Account Restoration Tool that lets us roll back your game account, characters, items, and progress to a state before a security incident.
Please note that account, character, and item restorations are currently unavailable for Guild Wars accounts—only Guild Wars 2 accounts.
Here are the scenarios that determine whether an account qualifies for a restoration:
- Account restoration is ONLY offered for accounts that were compromised (i.e. hacked, stolen, etc.) by an unauthorized party.
- We DO NOT restore accounts due to an in-game scam, erroneous gem purchases, accidental deletions, etc. These scenarios are investigated and handled by our support team on a case-by-case basis, and do not require a rollback of the account.
- Accounts shared by multiple players are ineligible for restoration.
- Accounts compromised due to the use of third-party programs (i.e. hacks, cheats, gold purchases, etc.) are ineligible for restoration.
Before you contact support, read through the questions below to learn more about what it means to roll back your account.
Restoring Your Account After a Compromise
Can I recover the items or characters I lost when my account was compromised?
Yes! As long as your situation qualifies for the restoration process, we'll be able to revert your entire account back to a point prior to the incident.
How does Support conduct a restoration?
Once you contact us, a Support agent will:
- Verify that you are the original owner of the account.
- Review account history to verify that the account was hacked by a third party.
- Check account “snapshots” or saved states.
- Research other accounts involved in the incident and take action (if necessary).
- Restore (roll back) the account, when appropriate.
How far back do you go when you restore an account?
We look for a restoration date that is as close as possible to the date when the account was compromised. Depending on how often you were playing before the incident, the time of the snapshot may vary: in some cases, it is saved only a few hours prior to the compromise; in others, it may date back to a time well before the incident.
Can I pick the date of my restoration?
No. The agent will identify and select the save state or snapshot closest to the incident and restore your account to that time and date.
Will I get everything back?
Your characters, items, and wealth will be exactly as they were when the restoration point was created. Any progress, items, or unlocks acquired after the time of the snapshot—including anything earned between the snapshot and the actual time of the compromise—will be lost.
For example, if you were hacked on February 10 and the most recent snapshot was saved on February 5, the account will lose anything acquired between February 5 (the restore point) and February 10.
Note that restorations do not affect guild banks.
Can you use the Account Restoration Tool to restore a specific character or item?
No. The entire account will be restored to its previous state. All progress, acquisitions, or unlocks earned after that date will be lost.
How long does it take to conduct an account restoration?
The process itself doesn't take long, however the research and verification process can be time-consuming. Due to this, we ask that you allow several days for us to complete the restoration process.
Is there a limit on the number of times I can restore my account to an earlier point?
This is important: we only offer one restoration during the lifetime of a Guild Wars 2 account. To safeguard your account, please be sure you take steps to protect and secure your account. Some helpful tips are outlined in this article.