Announcement (Oct. 10, 2018): We are currently experiencing problems sending official ArenaNet emails. Please be patient while we work to solve the problem, and follow us on Twitter or the official Guild Wars 2 forum for updates.
Email Authentication is the most basic form of authentication offered. This system provides an extra layer of security that prevents individuals from accessing or tampering with your ArenaNet account.
Email authentication works by asking you to validate your email address the first time you log in to the game. Once you verify your email address, you will be sent an email whenever a login attempt is detected from a new location or unknown network. It will ask you to approve or deny the login attempt, giving you control over when and where your account is accessed, and alerting you if it’s from a location you don’t recognize.
Of course, this only provides protection if your game account and email address use different passwords. If they share the same password, the hacker can simply log in to your email account and approve their own access. This is why we recommend choosing a strong, unique password for your game account.
Setting up Email Authentication
Here are the steps to setup email authentication on your account:
- Launch the Guild Wars 2 client and enter your ArenaNet account credentials.
- Press the LOG IN button.
- Next, you'll be prompted for a security code. Check your email for an email from ArenaNet (email@example.com) which contains a five-digit number. This is your access code.
- If you are logging in from a trusted network, check the Remember this Network so you don't need to authenticate it again. If it is a temporary or public network, leave this box unchecked.
- Copy and paste your access code into the field, then click the SUBMIT button.
- The client will now authenticate your permissions. As long as you entered the correct code, you will be able to press PLAY and begin your adventures!
Important: Responding to Authentication Requests
Please keep the following in mind when deciding how to respond to a login attempt:
- Never approve a login attempt from an unknown network, as it could be from someone attempting to log in using your username and password. If you suspect someone else might be attempting to access your account, please change your password immediately.
- Always be on the lookout for phishing attempts that try to direct you to malicious websites. Remember, the official Guild Wars 2 domains are *.guildwars2.com or *.arena.net. We never send emails that state that your account will be terminated if you do not respond, or send emails that state that an account has been compromised (unless we are responding to a player). Emails of this type are most likely attempts to steal your account.
- For more information about phishing attacks, click here.
Common Issues & Solutions
I was supposed to get an authentication email but never received one! What's wrong?
Please see our article about problems receiving Guild Wars 2 emails if you are not receiving authentication emails.
I received the authentication email, but when I click the link I get a message saying it's expired. What do I do?
Authentication codes are only valid for twenty-four hours after they are sent. If you're using a code sent within that window, certain web browser settings may also cause the error. Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Access your email and click the authentication link using a different browser. Please try using Edge, or if you are already using that browser, try a different one such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Finally, try clearing your browser cache. This option is usually found in the 'History' or 'Options' settings of your browser.
I tried to authenticate but didn't receive a code. What's wrong?
Sometimes your code may be delayed—either due to problems with your email provider or an error with the authentication system. If this happens, don't try repeatedly re-sending your request for a code immediately; instead, wait at least ten minutes and try again.
If the code doesn't arrive within ten minutes, you can either wait longer (we’ve had reports of codes suddenly delivering after an hour or so) or contact our support team for help with your authentication options. If you end up receiving your code while waiting for a reply, simply let us know so we can close out your ticket!
How come I’m not prompted to authenticate every time I log in?
Once you authenticate a network, you will have the option to save it as an authorized network so you don't need to authenticate it again. You can view a full list of all your authorized networks in the Security section of the account management page. You can also remove any previously authorized networks from this list, which will prevent access from those networks until another security code is entered.
Other Authentication Methods
If you're interested in exploring other authentication options, there are two others that utilize a mobile authenticator rather than your email address:
- SMS Authentication: This type of authentication sends your security code via text message whenever a login is detected from a new or unknown network.
- Authenticator App: This type of authentication uses a downloadable app—such as Google Authenticator—on a device such as a cell phone or tablet to deliver your security code.
Both of these options bypass your email altogether. This means that if your email account is compromised, your Guild Wars 2 account will still be safe.
To learn more about how to setup and use mobile authentication, check out this article.