How do I use the Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication System?
The E-mail Authentication System is designed to help keep your account secure. If you were denied access when trying to log in to the Guild Wars 2 game client or official website, please check your e-mail for a notification from us. If the log-in attempt came from you, follow the link in the e-mail and select Remember this Network.
Here are the steps you should take to protect your account using the Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication System:
- Log in to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2.
- Click Send to send a validation e-mail to your e-mail address.
- You will be sent an e-mail with a link to verify the e-mail address.
- Note: A link from us will lead to our domain, *.guildwars2.com. Do not click a link that leads elsewhere.
When you receive an e-mail indicating that someone is attempting to log in to your account, you can Allow Access, Deny Access, or Remember this Network.
- If you choose Deny Access, access to your account will be blocked.
- If you choose Allow Access, access will be granted on a one-time basis.
- If you choose Remember this Network, you will receive an e-mail only when a log-in attempt is made from a new IP address.
Please keep the following in mind when deciding how to respond to a login attempt:
- You should never approve a login attempt from an unknown network, as it could be from someone attempting to log in using your username and password. Instead, change your password through Account Management.
- Always be on the lookout for phishing attempts that try to direct you to malicious websites. Remember, the official Guild Wars 2 domain is *.guildwars2.com. Please be aware that we will not send e-mails that state that your account will be terminated if you do not respond or send e-mails that state that an account has been compromised (unless we are responding to a player). E-mails of this type are most likely malicious in intent. For more information about phishing attempts, click here. For samples of some of the English-language phishing e-mails we’ve seen, click here.
Are there any alternatives to e-mail authentication?
Yes! As an alternative to this method of authentication, you should consider using a mobile authenticator. This allows you to bypass e-mail authentication, which makes your account more secure (even if your e-mail account is compromised, your Guild Wars 2 account will still be safe). To learn more about how to use mobile authentication, please see this knowledge base article.
I was supposed to get an authentication e-mail, but never received one!
Please see our article on problems receiving Guild Wars 2 e-mails.
I received the authentication e-mail, but when I click the link I get a message saying it's expired.
This issue can be caused by two things. The first is time: authentication e-mails are only valid for twenty-four hours after they are sent. If you're using an email from within that time, certain web browser settings may be causing this error. Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Click on the authentication link using a different browser. Please try clicking the link using Internet Explorer, or if you are already using that browser, try a different one such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Finally, try clearing your browser cache. This option is usually found in the History or Options settings.
If you are still unable to authenticate using the e-mail link, please submit a ticket with any additional details, including error messages, and we will investigate the issue.