Our team has been monitoring an issue which resulted in game downloads becoming stalled after the May 2nd, 2023 update. This issue would result in the launcher stalling at a random percentage, even after restarting the client or performing connectivity troubleshooting steps.
As of May 9th, we believe we have identified and resolved the issue on the game servers that was resulting in stuck downloads, so we encourage all affected players to try again.
Please note that, if you made use of any unofficial solutions that may have been shared on the forums by other players that involved making changes to your computer's Hosts file, your client may not be able to connect to the game server even after the patch is downloaded successfully. In order to avoid this issue, you will need to reverse any changes made to your Hosts file. As such, we encourage anyone who followed these steps to seek out the instructions again and reverse the changes made to the Hosts file by removing any lines added or changes made to the contents of the file.
For more information, refer here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/129765-gw2-installer-stops-download-randomly-and-for-good-merged/page/12/#comment-1894613
If you still encounter stalled downloads, or you cannot connect to the game after following the steps above, please submit a support ticket and include a Gw2.log file which you can generate following the instructions below. Our team will review the logs and work with you to resolve any remaining issues.
Generating a Gw2.log file:
- Locate your Guild Wars 2 shortcut
- Right-click and select "Properties."
- In the "Target" line, add a space and “-log” (without the quotation marks) to the end of the string. Note: Please make sure that “-log” is outside of the quotes:
-- Correctly Formatted Example: "C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -log
-- Incorrectly Formatted Example: "C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe -log"
- Launch the game using this shortcut and wait for the error to occur before closing the client again so that appropriate data will be reflected in the log!
- Open Windows Explorer and, in the nav bar, type %appdata% and press Enter.
- You will now be in the AppData\Roaming folder.
- Open the Guild Wars 2 folder.
- Find the gw2.log text document and attach it to your ticket.